TopFoto has sourced several photo feature sets from the archives in the context of the 1950's Kaleidoscope Project.
See a selection (left) and visit our curated area for the latest image selections.
What it is about
The project aims at leveraging photographic content in Europeana depicting the 1950s in Europe, connecting
today’s citizens with the post-war generation whose dreams of a better life led to the establishment of the
European Union. Kaleidoscope wants to increase engagement with Europeana content, by heightening user
interaction through crowdsourcing and co-curation.
To support the discovery and reuse of photographic content in Europeana and allow for users to combine it
with personal stories and photographs, the project will implement an intelligent visual similarity search,
propose web/mobile demonstrator applications and provide augmented reality services.
Back-end tools enabling users to manipulate photographic collections will be integrated, which will eventually
result in an update of the existing records with the crowdsourced annotations, materials and addenda. The
data yielded will support curation work and improve the functionality and serviceability of Europeana.
Kaleidoscope will also develop a community of users to raise awareness on Europeana, its content and its
potential for creative reuse. Finally, the project partners will create an educational portal including a Massive
Open Online Course (MOOC).
The tools, created and tested with the 1950s in Europe as an overarching theme, will also be relevant for
other thematic frameworks. In particular, the outcomes of this project will be used to enrich Europeana’s
Thematic Collections on Photography and Migration with new stories, interesting photographic material, and
other compelling resources for the users’ benefit and engagement.
1. Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium) - Coordinator
2. PHOTOCONSORTIUM - International Consortium for Photographic Heritage (Italy)
3. Coventry University (United Kingdom)
4. Ajuntament De Girona - Centre De Recerca i Difusió De La Imatge (Catalunia, Spain)
5. National Technical University of Athens (Greece)
6. Interuniversitair Micro-Electronica Centrum vzw - IMEC (Belgium)
7. Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz - SPK (Germany)
8. Koninklijk Instituut voor het Kunstpatrimonium - Institut royal du Patrimoine artistique (Belgium)
9. Topham Partners - TOPFOTO (United Kingdom)
10. National Széchényi Library of Hungary (Hungary)