WEAVE – Widen European Access to cultural communities Via Europeana
TopFoto is proud to be a partner of the WEAVE project and will supply 3500 images, carefully edited from our photography archive.
This project aims to develop a framework to link the tangible and intangible heritage of cultural communities, safeguarding the rich and invaluable cultural heritage which they represent.
WEAVE will contribute to preserving for future generations the richness of the European identity and its cultural plurality. In particular, the project will aggregate over 5,200 new high-quality records to Europeana. This content will be related to the rich and invaluable cultural heritage of minority cultural communities. The project will also showcase these collections in a set of engaging editorials on the Europeana website.
The project will carry out several capacity building activities. These activities will to develop a closer connection between cultural heritage institutions (CHIs), minority cultural communities and Europeana. Also, it will offer training, mentorship and guidelines with a focus on proper handling of immaterial cultural heritage. The project will also focus on working with vulnerable and marginalised communities. By doing so it will lay a workable method for others to follow.
Additionally, WEAVE will build upon the results of CultureMoves and 50s Kaleidoscope Generic Services Projects. For instance, it will develop a set of open and reusable tools which will employ a mix of AI, machine learning, natural language processing, big data analysis and innovative interface engineering. By developing a toolkit, the project will, for example, allow the management of annotations, semi-automatic recognition of specific gestures and movements and visualisation of performances and 3D models. Furthermore, the project will demonstrate how the WEAVE Toolkit can be used by CHIs. The toolkit can be used to better promote collections that would otherwise remain hidden. Both, in educational and destination tourism contexts, as two examples.
- IN2 Digital Innovations GmbH – Germany (coordinator)European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture e.V. – Germany
- European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture e.V. – Germany
- PHOTOCONSORTIUM – International Consortium for Photographic Heritage – Italy
- Coventry University – United Kingdom
- CRDI – Ajuntament De Girona – Centre De Recerca I Difusió De La Imatge – Spain
- PédeXumbo – Associaçãon para a Promoção da Musica e da Dança – Portugal
- TOPFOTO – Topham Partners LLP – United Kingdom
- ARCTUR d.o.o. – Slovenia
- Universidade NOVA de Lisboa – Portugal
- Think Code Ltd. – Cyprus
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven– Belgium
- Stichting Europeana – The Netherlands
1 April 2021 to 30 September 2022
Kick Off Presentation:
John Balean presents TopFoto to the WEAVE project partners. Also, raising the question, what is intangible heritage?